The Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE), Chittagong has been established in 1995 by the East Pakistan Ordinance NO. XXXIII of 1961 and its section no. 3A(1). It was very upsetting that in spite of being the main port city of Bangladesh and the hub of industrial activities, Chittagong has no education board of its own. The foundation of this board is the result of a dynamic movement in 1994 for it.
BISE, Chittagong is now an independent and self-controlled organization conducting its activities with the aim of supervising, regulating, organizing and developing the S.S.C, H.S.C & J.S.C public examinations and its subservient educational institutions of the districts namely- Chittagong, Cox’s Bazar, Rangamati, Khagrachari & Bandarban. The present chairman of Chittagong board is Prof. Shaheda Islam.
Prior to the establishment of Chittagong board people of greater Chittagong had to face difficulties and troubles while going to the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Comilla to solve any type of issues related to education. It was both expensive and time-consuming as well.
Activities conducted by BISE, Chittagong:
- They are the regulatory body for all the Secondary and Higher Secondary educational institutions covered by the board. They monitor and detect the academic weaknesses of each and individual institutions to maintain qualitative and quantitative education.
- They are the manufacturer and distributor of registration cards and the conductor of J.S.C, S.S.C & H.S.C examinations.
- They evaluate the exam papers, publish results within a pre-set time frame by the 2 examiners sheet, score sheet and finally distribute the prepared certificates among the students.
- They publish Pathyakramika that includes activities and conduct them.
- They take the responsibility to settle any disputes aroused within the school or college managing committee.
- They continuously motivate the teachers to provide quality education to the students.
- They save all the records related to the BISE, Chittagong.
The database of teachers created by BISE, Chittagong has created the scope to appoint examiners, moderators or any qualified personnel to ensure maximum efficiency and accuracy of the specific job done by them.
There is a Web-Portal of Chittagong board which is functioning full-fledged. This Web-Portal is a blessing for both the teachers and students since it is relentlessly providing services to more than one thousand and five hundred well-known schools and colleges to keep them updated about the recent events, programs and stories.
The government owes our heartfelt compliment to make it possible for taking the initiative to take this education board under the regime of Digital Bangladesh. Inauguration of mobile apps and websites has lessened the sufferings of the students’ many folds and made them able to stay connected with the world through the internet. Hopefully, it will develop the overall education system of Bangladesh in near future.